[OM] Re: Going to die this weekend :-]

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to die this weekend :-]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:57:13 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:
> ........With T-men on his taillights, roadblocks up ahead
> The mountain boy took roads that even angels feared to tred.
>
> Blazing right through Knoxville, out on Kingston Pike,
> Then right outside of Bearden, they made the fatal strike.
> He left the road at 90; that’s all there is to say.
> The devil got the moonshine and the mountain boy that day.

Wonder if that was my great uncle on his tail. :-) He was a rev'nooer.
He died when I was relatively young, so I didn't know him very well. He
did have some stories to tell. I don't remember much now, but I think
they were mostly about hunting' stills in the woods and such, not car
chases.

James Royall wrote:
> So what's the taste like? Is it still so widespread because it tastes
> so good? Is cheap? The strength means you don't have to get out of
> your chair to take a leak so often?
Anywhere from turpentine to sublime, from what little I've tried and
what my g-uncle told us. Not a lot of consistency from maker to maker
and QC problems are bound to come up, I hear.

One story I do remember well was from a long time ago. He said someone
was making stuff that was indistinguishable from CC - and had labels
from either a great counterfeiter or stolen from Canada. it was into
retail channels, too, and so common that they had to send samples to
their lab in SF to be sure what they had seized.

Apparently you can age it in a rocker, a barrel or vat with a lot of
charred oak chips that is constantly, slowly rocked, to a quality much
like of years of barrel aging in a few days, or so I was told.

Time to go listen to Jimmy Buffett sing God's Own Drunk, more commonly
referred to as The Bear Song.

Moose