[OM] Re: RE : Re: Shipping to france?

Subject: [OM] Re: RE : Re: Shipping to france?
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:27:39 +0100
>Actually, living in France, my experience is that the sender can tick
>whatever he likes on the shipping forms, but if it being sent with
>any kind of declared value (such as an insurance), then the agent for
>the currier (LaPoste, UPS, FedEx, TNT, ....) in France *will* without
>fail slap on customs + a 100 Eur "customs handling fee", neither of
>which you can legally dispute short of suing the state.....

Well not for me. In most cases I had nothing to pay, for packages coming from
the US or Hong Kong - of course it was mostly relatively low value items (say
less than 250 Euro).

I did have to pay for packages where the box was not ticked - most recently a
Cameta package, for which I had to pay VAT plus customs plus Chronopost
"handling fees" - some 75 Euro total, for a 225 Euro lens. I was actually happy
that Chronopost did deliver the lens - a rather rare occurrence in my
experiences with them :-)

Bernard