[OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:48:37 -0600
On 3/10/07, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think what may be misunderstood is an occasional angry or disgusted
> comment about Oly the company. We have all been Oly users and many of
> still have and may use some Oly equipment. We are still rooting for
> the company with vision and originality that produced the OM cameras
> and we get impatient with what appears to be stupid moves that
> further imperil its future as a camera maker. It really is concern
> that prompts one of those outbursts, not a desire to make someone who
> owns an Oly digital feel bad for his choice.

Very true.  I also confess to feeling less stung by this kind of thing
when it comes from within the Olympus digital family than from someone
who parted company with Olympus.  This really isn't fair.  If the list
is bound together by OM, we each have a different history as to how OM
figured and continues to figure in our lives.

I admit one other thing.  I've never quite got it when it comes to
complaints about Olympus' business decisions, marketing, and so forth.
 I'm not personally terribly impatient with Olympus.  It seems like
they're marching to a different drummer, not really worried about
competition, keeping active in their niche.  They seem to have
contributed some good ideas to the general requirement set of DSLRs
and have continued their legacy of fine optics.  If they didn't throw
an immense amount of effort into high-speed AF, they weren't going to
get these users from C and N anyway. Given the title of this thread, I
hate to mention that I can remember when people assumed that Apple's
market share spelled the end of the company.  Not a bit.  But it has
seemed at times that the assumption folks who complain about Olympus
are making is that Olympus needs to compete head on with C and N and
beat them at their particular game.  I just wonder why they should do
that if they can find some success doing something different.  The
latter certainly seems more fun.  But I am clueless in business, as
I've doubtless just shown!

Joel W.