[OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:24:35 -0600
Winsor, I think you might be thinking about the conversations you've
been involved in, which have always been very helpful, interesting,
and civil.  Of course, I'm always interested in N*kon, so someone else
might disagree.

I think there is more "energy" involved in Oly and C debates because
of the adapter.  I don't see how anyone with a lucky Zuiko can't be
interested in a full frame body like the D5.

I am going to try to make this paragraph as platform neutral as
possible.  One thing we don't really explore, which is at the bottom
of the Oly-C animus, is the viability of the 4/3 standard.  Some
people have tried it and like it to various degrees, others have
decided it's not for them.  That's not the only thing that has figured
into the decision to part company with Oly or not, but it's a
fundamental issue.

For my part, I have felt hurt by criticism of 4/3 and all the issues
that are unique to Oly as they've moved ahead with this new standard
mainly because 4/3 is no longer a theoretical thing for me, it is an
experience.  Similarly, I think C owners have felt offended by
statements about the excellence of the SSWF or live view because they
may not have experienced the need for it, and yet Oly owners are
telling them how much they need it.  If you're like me, you don't
enjoy anyone telling you your shooter is bad when you have the
experience and familiarity with the camera and they simply don't.
This goes both ways.  I'm sure each side feels that it mostly only
goes one way, and I confess to having felt that way myself sometimes.

In the end, I don't believe anyone wants to lose anything that we have
to offer each other.  So let's get back to being who we are when we
are really aware of how we like to be treated ourselves.

Joel W.