[OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:27:55 -0600
Jim Couch wrote:

> The discussion always reminds me of  polarized religious zealots
> squaring off or proselytizing.; I find it offensive for the same
> reason in both cases. Nobody ever asked for advice, yet folks
> feel compelled to give it, because they feel the need to 'save
> the world' from being 'on the wrong side.' It is one thing to
> recommend [...] when someone asks about what they should use, but
> to just bring it up is rude, boorish, and just plain self
> serving. The result is a lot of bandwidth wasted on the same
> rhetoric and drivel that is always thrown back and forth, with
> nobody really changing their mind, because no one is listening,
> some of us try to ignore the thread, those that participate are
> busy 'bible thumping' and not looking at the other point of view.
> I pity the poor digest folks every time the topic comes up.

Interestingly, if you remove the computer references above, the text
well describes the Olympus vs Canyon vs Nicone discussions here
("Well, my [fill-in-Canyon-model-here] will photograph the sound
waves from bats without a flash." "That new Nicone has some nice
features. Too bad is the size of a toaster and it feels like it'll
fold like a bad poker hand.")

I'm not accusing anyone of anything in particular because I think
it's all part the banter on the List. AFAIK no one has been
excommunicated for choosing to buy something other than an Oly.
We'll ooh and aah over a nice shot no matter what took it. The only
time the discussion becomes a problem, IMHO, is when it gets
personal (or is taken personally). I think that, between the OT
threads and folks who are new to the idea of trimming replies, the
poor digest folks have enough going on without worrying about the
occasional MCIBTYC jesting.

Just my $.02,
Steve