[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:13:10 +1030
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:18:19PM +1100, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I've moved work site and the sysop. at the new place simply refuses
> to enable the network to accept a mac, despite the fact that it is a
> serious problem for me. First he denied it was possible and when I
> pointed out that I knew damn well it was and pointed to three other
> schools locally that do it, he just flat out refused. That's when i
> got insufferable.

Andrew,

Because he doesn't know you, he's just worried that he'll have to do
desktop support on it for you, and he's afraid- very afraid!

We went through the mill getting PPTP & L2TP VPNs to our products
working on a mac (talk about pain!) - we even had to spend some time
talking to the underlying UNIX OS. The single most annoying thing was
the lack of mouse buttons. I like mice with at least three & optionally
a scroll wheel as I'm used to X-Windows
( see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xwindows )

I have to have a PC only to keep my E-300 up to date.  My c@n0n scanner
failed again, that's two now, neither lasted 12 months with less than 50
scans total each - the manufacturer wasn't interested in fixing it, so I
no longer need to use my PC for that!

y'all can have your MAC vs PC discussions... I *know* that X-Windows on
FreeBSD unix is superior... resistance is futile....  ;)

All humour aside, I find it is the best overall tool for my particular
mix of functions. I could probably survive using one of the others, but
it wouldn't be pretty, there would be LOTS of harsh words...

davidt