[OM] Re: Reviews of E-410 and E-510

Subject: [OM] Re: Reviews of E-410 and E-510
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:42:34 -0600
On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 05:17:24PM +0000, Ian Nichols wrote:
> > especially in incarnations like Canon's where you can't wrap your fingers
> > around the lens and have your fingers around the grip at the same time. This
> > discourages holding the camera in the proper manner, using the left hand to
> > support the lens and the right hand only operating the controls.
> Umm, you use your right hand to change shutter and aperture on your
> OM-1?  That's weird.  I'm going to have to disagree with you here, and
> say I found the ergonomics of my old E-10 much better - I really could
> use the controls with one hand on that, precisely because of that jog
> wheel on the front of the grip (ditto the A-1).

Of course I use my left hand on the OM-1 to operate the shutter and
aperture. On that camera, the right hand just fires the shutter and advances
the film. The point is that the right hand should not be used to support the
camera. That's the left hand's job. That places the main support where it
will do the most good.

The E-10 can be held and operated that way, but the grip just makes life
more difficult. As for using the controls with one hand, that's not the
point. You're looking at it backwards: the hands are there to support the
camera, and the controls fall under the fingers when they're doing that.
That's not at all true of the E-10. (Besides, you really operate the zoom
ring with your right hand? :-)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC                    http://www.conmicro.cx
http://jmaynard.livejournal.com      http://www.tronguy.net