[OM] Re: Moosed Portrait

Subject: [OM] Re: Moosed Portrait
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:31:01 -0800
Phil wrote:
> Moose
>
> Many thanks for attempting this, unfortunately I cannot see the work flow
> due to having IE

Do you have PS? I could send you a PSD file with the different steps as
different layers.

You really should try Firefox. A better browser, and free.
> I have studied several times to get my head into what I like ect.
>
> Hair, yours has more detail, I also like the extra texture in the sweater.
>
> Skin, I actually prefer mine still although I now see it is to blotchy, I
> admit I could do a better job I am still in the School of the more the
> merrier as I learn my Photoshop skills, maybe somewhere halfway between them
> both?

I've added one with lighter, less textured skin
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Pemberton/Charly/charly.htm>.

I'm not sure I like it better than the first, but I like it quite a bit.
What's great fun is putting one on top of the other as layers and
varying the opacity of the top one. It shows a whole range of tonal looks.
> Eyes, I prefer mine, more impact for me.

Too scary and unnatural for me, but tastes vary.
> I would certainly appreciate your work flow detail and method of converting
> to Black and white,
The first conversion was done using Hue/Saturation Layers:

- Layer=>New Adjustment Layer=>Hue/Saturation=>Name: Filter=>OK=>OK

- Right click on new layer and change Blend Mode to Color

- Layer=>New Adjustment Layer=>Hue/Saturation=>Name: Film=>OK=>Pull
Saturation slider all the way to the left=>OK

- Double click on the middle layer, Filter, to bring up the
HueSaturation adjustment box. As you slide the Hue slider around, the
mix of colors going into the image you see changes. Slide it around
until you see something you like.

I think I did some LCE and/or Curves after this.

The second conversion was done with the free B&W conversion filter from
photoplugins.com. I just installed it, and don't know much about using
it, but I liked the Tri-X conversion.
> What Charly actually liked the most about the image was how her hair came
> out. You have inspired me to have another crack at it from your version could
> you please send me your modified version.

Yup, coming along. Going to bed now, but I'll get files to you tomorrow.
> Again many thanks for the time and effort put in.

It's been fun and informative. It's an area where I knew relatively
little, and now I know a little bit more. And it really is a great
portrait to work with.

Moose