[OM] Re: Monopod or tripod

Subject: [OM] Re: Monopod or tripod
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:21:15 -0800 (PST)
ScottGee wrote:
> You have my admiration, sir.  Your hands must be steadier than
> mine. Hard to imagine shooting w/o a TRIpod.  MONOpod only when a
> TRIpod is verboten.

I'm using not using any support most of the time--as I'm using flash
predominantly.  Also, the E-1, which is my primary axe, is incredibly
vibration-resistant and I do have a very slow shutter-speed, I use
continous-mode and fire off a quick sequence of shots.  In almost
every case I'll get at least one sharp picture.

Tripods get in my way and tend to be a bit of a pain to use.  The
only exception to this would be the formals, but even then I'm
usually in motion a lot.  We'll see how this year shapes up, though.

Using the above techniques with the E-1, I can reliably shoot 1/2
second exposures with the monopod.  Any slower than that any my
subjects are moving too much regardless.

The biggest advantage of the monopod for me is as a back-strain
relief.  My back locks up after a while and the monopod is a great
item to lean on.

AG

http://new.mail.yahoo.com