[OM] Dust on the move

Subject: [OM] Dust on the move
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:52:50 -0800 (PST)
I was reading about how the 5D comes from the factory with dust on,
under and behind the focus screen.  Rather than being entertained by
the foibles and fallicies of this camera deemed to be the
photographic equivelent to the Messiah, it reminded me of my own
dusty experiences with the OM system.

Periodically I do remove the focus screen and quickly brush off
anything on it with the focus screen brush that comes in the box
holding a replacement screen.  Follow that up with a quick blow and
pop it back in.  Ok, I haven't done that for a while, but you get the
idea.

Anyway, one day I'm using my camera and there is a new dust spot
right in the middle of the screen.  Grr. A few minutes later I'm
taking another picture and the dust spot has moved. Hmm.  A little
later the dust spot is in another position.  Wierd.  But I wasn't
going to worry about it then.

The next day, there are several dust spots.  What is going on here?
That's wierd they're not only moving but multiplying.

I remove the lens so it's easier to see what's on the screen, but
continue to watch through the viewfinder.  Those dust spots are on
the move.  I put the varimagnifier (varimaggot finder) on the camera
and look closer.  Those dust spots have legs.  My camera is infested
with mites.  These things were so tiny that they just looked like
tiny dots moving around on the screen and were totally invisible with
the naked eye.  Well, I blew the camera out with compressed air,
removed the battery and film, cleaned everything I could and then put
it in the deep freeze for a week.  Afterwards, no mites.

So, I wonder if placing the 5D in a deep freeze for a week would take
care of its dust?

Nah.

AG

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate