[OM] Opinions on digital photo software

Subject: [OM] Opinions on digital photo software
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:55:28 +0000
Just thumbing through my new book that came today from Amazon, "Digital
Restoration From Start to Finish." I know many, probably most, of you here are
Photoshop users, but I heartily agree with the author's assessment of it and
Picture Window Pro v4:

"Picture Window Pro is an  impressive and, at $90, inexpensive digital darkroom
program. Published by Digital Light & Color, this programm is fully 16-bit
native, offers multiple undos, supports color management and device management
and device calibration better than Photoshop, has color correction and advanced
sharpening tools that outdo Photoshop's, and takes up only 5 MB of your hard
drive. A bonus: Picture Window has no annoying activation schemes, like
Photoshop."

I've got both, use both, but it's PWP 90 percent of the time. There are a
couple of tasks Photoshop does better, but I can't remember right now what they
are. I think one is that initial "haze removal" of sharpening at:
Amount=10-25%, Radius=200-300, Threshold=0. If you haven't done it yet, try it.
It makes a difference.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from