[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080 - and C7070.

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080 - and C7070.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:49:11 -0800
khen lim wrote:
> On 10/01/07, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Khen wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not 100pc sure it would be, AG. This of course has nothing to
>>> do with whether or not you or I or Olympus regarding it as
>>> the "digital equivalent" of the XA. The one thing that the C8080
>>> isn't is overtly compact.
>>>
>> Actual physical size is only one characteristic that I consider to be
>> XA'ish.  There are hundreds of various P&S digital cameras which are
>> smaller than the XA and even have clamshell designs.

Irrelevant! Digital is a different category from a different time.

And for me, size and physical design are crucial parts of what makes the
XA a real classic. I waited for years for a compact 35 mm camera for me.
Endless variations from Oly and others of the flat, square cornered box
with protruding lens and strap lugs and wind levers and who knows what
went by. Some had great features, but none were truly pocketable without
catching on things. I looked and looked, but held out. Finally, Oly
really did it with the XA and I bought one right away.

What a wonderful and unique design! Smooth, tough, eminently pocketable,
a great, fast lens and a real, usable rangefinder. Then they top it off
with a beautifully integrated flash. I think it meets the "pinnacle of
design" category very well.

> True. Can't argue with that. But since we're on the subject, I'd like to
> point out that the Minox 35GL and 35ML were truly outstanding cameras with
> intriguing "drawbridge" lens design. And these two could really pound out
> super sharp images.

The Minox and the Rollei are quite interesting cameras, very attractive
in many ways and, the early Rolleis, in particular, wonderful examples
of craftsmanship. But I don't see either as real classics. To me, a
classic should not only have exceptional design, but also exceptional
performance. These cameras are both capable of exceptional images, but
only if you manage to guess the focus right. The Rollei is bad enough
and the Minox is ridiculous. A 35/2.8 lens with no means of focus other
than guessing? No, the compromise is too great for my definition of classic.

We've just seen an example of the problem posted here, not with these
cameras, but with an Oly with the same problem, the Trip 35. Rich saw
the shot and took it, but the zone focus camera didn't get the focus
<http://www.pbase.com/rsilfverberg/image/72820478.jpg>.

Whatever the other virtues of these cameras, the XA will outperform them
in practical, everyday photography where a big camera isn't practical or
at hand, if only because more shots will be in focus.

As long as we are talking about classic compact 35mm cameras, I nominate
the Stylus Epic. Sleek, highly pocketable, excellent, fast lens, good
AF, CW and spot metering, adjustable flash for fill AND weatherproof. A
true successor to the XA for the AF film age.

Moose