[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:48:45 -0600
On 1/9/07, khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, I have access to all the E-series models but frankly I prefer to wait
> it out now. What I am looking for, nothing out there currently fits the bill
> but something will crop up. Here's my take on what I have been using of
> late:
>
> E-300: Nice but no multispot
> E-330: LiveView is great but not as good as C-5060 and no multispot
> E-1: Love everything about it but no LiveView
> E-500: Nothing there I need to be honest, nice as it is but it's not for me
> E-400: Very impressive little bugger, love the size, feels like a lodestone
> in my hands but no LiveView, no multispot (or did I miss finding it???)
>
> C-5060: Amazes me everyday, LiveView, multispot, pity lens not
> interchangeable
> C-8080: LiveView not as flexible as C-5060 but built like a tank, handles
> supremely, multispot is beautiful to use, love it
>
> Any comments? Love to hear what others might have to say.
>
> K.

I passed my C5060 on to my son, who is oblivious to the inaccurate
optical viewfinder (i.e., he never uses it).  The C8080's EVF has the
drawbacks of EVFs, but I much prefer it.  Still the C5060 is very
fine.

It sounds like when you find the "live view" on the C5060 to be better
than the E-330, you are mainly referencing its range of movement
("articulation"!), no?  Otherwise, the E-330's two LV modes simply
take one to a whole new level, not to mention the sheer size of the
LCD on the E-330.  To me, when you talk about the LCD on the C5060 and
E-330, you are simply talking almost about two different things!

I never use multispot with the C8080 because the live histogram and
AEL combination is the ne plus ultra of exposure methodology IMHO.
RAW capture is lamentably slow, but it really isn't essential because
one can shoot jpgs with complete confidence with the C8080 live
histogram and AEL.  Anyway, I never use multispot so I can't comment
on how good it really is.  Even with the OM-4 I rarely used multispot;
 I usually just used one spot (and maybe a couple more just to make
sure I picked the right spot the first time -- oops, I guess that
would be multispot after all).

I have the C7000 too.  What a feature laden P&S!  I would have been
happy with a 4-5 MP version of this camera.  I think they tried to
squeeze a little too much blood out of the turnip by upping a sensor
that small to 7 MP, but if the C8080 is too big for the occasion, the
C7000 gets the nod.  With one of the faster xD cards, RAW write times
are half that of the C8080.

I like the cameras you like for very different reasons.  I think
that's pretty cool, actually. :)

Joel W.