[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 03:22:46 +0800
On 09/01/07, Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> khen lim wrote:
> >
> > 1) What are your experiences with using the FL40 on the C8080 with
> various
> > different colour balance settings including One-Touch WB?
>
> With the flash I find auto WB or sunlight to be the best.

I'm assuming that I can do a One-Touch WB without the FL40 of course. And
then install the FL40 on the C8080 and use it with the WB setting I had
established. Can I then assume that the FL40's output quality will not
affect my WB setting?

> 2) How about if I were to set the C8080 to Manual exposure mode? Does this
> > mean that I have to also use the FL40 on Manual or any of the fractioned
> > power modes?
>
> The FL-40 will work in TTL mode even with the camera in manual mode. OK,
> so it works pretty much the same as the FL36 in this manner.
> I like to use the flash in auto mode with the camera set to slave flash.
> This way the pre-flash is eliminated. In this mode the flash still
> communicates with the camera in that it know what aperture and ISO the
> camera is set to.
> As either of these are changed the FL-40 indicates the maximum distance
> the flash will be good for.

OK, thanks. One question - is there any accessory out there that allows me
to connect the C8080/C5060 to the FL40 off-camera via some kind of hotshoe
connecting cord?

> 3) My shooting style is Aperture-AE, Multispot with or without Exposure
> > Compensation and at times, altering the ISO setting. Would I still be
> free
> > in doing these when I use the FL40? And if so, should the FL40 be set in
> any
> > particular way for me to be able to continue with my shooting style?
>
> When in auto mode, changing the ISO will not affect your exposure unless
> you are out of flash range for a low ISO. OK.
> This will not be the same a exposure compensation. The C-8080/FL-40
> combo is too smart. Meaning fiddling with Exp Comp won't work with the
> FL40 powered up?
>
> The flash will have to be in manual mode for very much compensation with
> a change in ISO. If the cameras flash setup is set to slave mode, manual
> mode cannot be selected. OK, fair enough...
>
>   > 4) Does the C8080's Flash Intensity Control only for the built-in
> flash or
> > does it also directly govern the FL40?
>
> When used in TTL mode the flash intensity will control the output of the
> FL-40. Can you confirm if the Flash Intensity settings are actually
> f-stops or are the numbers arbitrary measure?
>
> > 6) Is the FL40 compatible with the C5060 in the same way as the C8080?
>
> I do not believe it is fully compatible with the C-5060. Not "fully"
> compatible? Meaning that some of the FL40's more basic features would work
> but the more advanced ones wouldn't? Like Full-Synchro? Like 1st/2nd curtain
> settings? What about flash head zoom control?
>
> Unless you went with the FL-50 I don't know what flash would work better
> than the FL-40.

Also would you consider using the FL40 on the C8080 for macro work? Since
the C8080's S.Macro mode auto-disables any on-camera flash mode (overriding
it to No Flash), can I get the FL40 to now work with the camera or will the
override affect any hotshoe-mounted flash also?

Do you think that the FL40's smallest manual fraction power mode is small
enough for macrophotography?

Thanks, Richard.

K.

Dick