[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:52:13 -0500
khen lim wrote:

> 1) What are your experiences with using the FL40 on the C8080 with various
> different colour balance settings including One-Touch WB?

With the flash I find auto WB or sunlight to be the best.

> 2) How about if I were to set the C8080 to Manual exposure mode? Does this
> mean that I have to also use the FL40 on Manual or any of the fractioned
> power modes?

The FL-40 will work in TTL mode even with the camera in manual mode.
I like to use the flash in auto mode with the camera set to slave flash.
This way the pre-flash is eliminated. In this mode the flash still
communicates with the camera in that it know what aperture and ISO the
camera is set to.
As either of these are changed the FL-40 indicates the maximum distance
the flash will be good for.

> 3) My shooting style is Aperture-AE, Multispot with or without Exposure
> Compensation and at times, altering the ISO setting. Would I still be free
> in doing these when I use the FL40? And if so, should the FL40 be set in any
> particular way for me to be able to continue with my shooting style?

When in auto mode, changing the ISO will not affect your exposure unless
you are out of flash range for a low ISO.
This will not be the same a exposure compensation. The C-8080/FL-40
combo is too smart.

The flash will have to be in manual mode for very much compensation with
a change in ISO. If the cameras flash setup is set to slave mode, manual
mode cannot be selected.

  > 4) Does the C8080's Flash Intensity Control only for the built-in
flash or
> does it also directly govern the FL40?

When used in TTL mode the flash intensity will control the output of the
FL-40.

> 6) Is the FL40 compatible with the C5060 in the same way as the C8080?

I do not believe it is fully compatible with the C-5060.

Unless you went with the FL-50 I don't know what flash would work better
than the FL-40.

Dick