[OM] Re: XD card troubles

Subject: [OM] Re: XD card troubles
From: Don Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 06:05:41 -0800 (PST)
I was trying to put a series of files from a recent trip on my XD card from my
computer so I could show them on my E-500 as a slide show on a TV to relatives
over the holidays.  The files were processed and saved from Photoshop CS2.  I
found that none of them were visible on the camera - it showed a card error.
However, when I resaved all the files to my computer from Olympus Master, then
transferred them again to the XD card, they displayed fine on the E-500.  So
the Oly files (these were just jpegs) have some sort of info attached to them
by the camera and the Olympus Master software that is required to view them in
the camera.  So I would recommend to resave any files you cannot view on the
camera with the Olympus Master software and then see it you can view them on
the camera.  Also, to view any files on the E-500 you have to retain the same
file name format - you can change it so long as it has the same number of
digits, and you cannot add any letters after the
 numbers in the file name.  ( at first I did this to reorder some files, but
found it would not work in the camera) BTW, the Olympus Master has a nice batch
file renaming and saving function that works very well, but is a bit hard to
find in the software.

Steve Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi, Y'all-
I think I've trashed one of my Dad's XD cards for his Olympus digicam.

The camera can tell that there is a card in it, but can't show any of the
pictures.
Dad's Compaq Presario has XD/compact flash/SD/etc. port on the front, and it
doesn't even recognize
  that there is a card in the slot.
On the other hand, his HP 8250 printer does recognize the card and shows all
the pictures.

So what is the best way of handling this? print what he wants with the printer
and then format it
in the camera?

How I killed his card:
I'm setting up a network so my Dad can share files and printers between his
Presario and his old
IBM laptop. The Presario runs Windows XP, and the laptop runs Windows 98. The
XP network wizard
wants to create a setup disk for other machines on the net, but since the
Presario doesn't have a
floppy, the only drive it will create it on is one of the XD/compact flash/SD
ports. Not a CD, and
not a USB Jump drive. The network wizard did manage to put a file on the XD
card, but then the
Presario lost all contact with the card. Suggestions on how to tame the network
wizard would be
appreciated too.

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas, TX usa

http://mail.yahoo.com