[OM] Re: XD card troubles

Subject: [OM] Re: XD card troubles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 03:13:34 -0800
Phil wrote:
> I had a 2 gig CF card given to me, I have been using it to transfer files to
> and from work, I was going to start using it in my E1
> is it safe to do this? or should I format it firts, in PC or E1

I'm not aware of any especially tricky problems with CF cards. Certainly
nothing like the xD cards in Oly digicams. I also don't know anything
about xD cards in Oly DSLRs. Probably nobody does, as they are much
slower in that application than the CF cards.

I've heard it's a good idea to format the card in the camera before
relying on it for your images. I've only personally used CF cards with
Canyon DSLRs, which seems quite a robust situation.

Interestingly enough, Oly sells a little thumb drive, MAUSB-300, that
uses xD cards, and the instructions say nothing at all about care using
the cards as data repositories, then in one of their cameras. I have
only used the 16 mb card that came with the F10 in it for data. I've
left the DCIM subdirectory intact and the Fujis still find it
acceptable. I have not, however taken the chance of using the 1 gb cards
for data, using the thumb drive only for downloading and then erasing
images in the cameras only.

Moose