[OM] Re: Custom Settings - Looking for advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Custom Settings - Looking for advice
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:29:34 +0000
I second that! I like AG 's approach to things photographic. I've not
experimented with WB on the Rebel yet - its been stuck permanenty on AWB
(it's one area I expect the camera manufacturer to get right! - at least
most of the time.)
The AF of the rebel is so much faster and better than on my old Minoltas
that I dont mind using it. I have set it to use the central point only - and
I'll just switch to MF temporarily if that doesn't do the job right.
I've moved away from the green rectangle 'auto everything' - and now use
Aperture Priority as I do on my film SLRs. I've now set up the camera for HQ
RAW and Jpeg - and appreciate the extra quality that gives.
So far the ISO is ok on 200 (and even that is *very* surprisingly good under
low light conditions - I haven't needed to go higher than ISO 400 yet - even
when shooting in twilight and outside in the dark!)
I almost panicked a little the first time I tried out the macro/close-up
facility and got up real close to the subject - the flashgun went a little
berserk firing a series of very rapid flashes - when they stopped I feared
it might be because it burned out the tube! Then I read the manual and it
does say it will fire a series of very rapid flashes in some cases of
extreme close-up.
The flash is still fine Im glad to say! I do wish there were a solid plastic
sliding door/lid/cover on the back LCD - they could have stuck the menu
buttons on top of the camera somewhere in order to make room - or at least
recessed the screen some. The small viewfinder is fine (it didn't bother me
at all - it was my son who commented on how small it was - I was more
concerned and pleased with how much info there was in it - one of the
niceties of the A1 was/is that you didn't/don't need to take your eye away
from the viewfinder in order to know what settings you currently have - same
with the 300D :) (The EVF in my friend's  Fuji even shows the menus and
cursors - but I don't like the little EVF on it - it's fine outdoor in
daylight, but not very good indoors or in low-light conditions - and seeing
the anti-shake technology of the Fuji at work is a tad disturbing - but
probably reassuring once you get used to it). I wish the 300D had IS on
board - it's the only 'feature' I 'know' I'm missing! BTW the 300D can
remember up to three custom settings - which you can choose from the menu
functions - I'll get around to doing custom setups one day! So far I've left
the cameras settings (e.g. things like WB) pretty much well alone! All I've
changed so far is the ISO, and set the quality to max (e.g. large/fine jpegs
and RAW). For some reason, I get a little impression that Canon doesn't
really want 300D users to use RAW much (it's only selectable in the menu
system when you're in the more manual 'modes' e.g. Aperture Priority,
Shutter Priority, Manual, etc.)
But no doubt I'll get around to playing with such things eventually.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -