[OM] Re: DOF - Digital versus analogue

Subject: [OM] Re: DOF - Digital versus analogue
From: Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:31:51 -0500
Bill Pearce wrote:

> There was a lot of stuff about small sensor cameras having greater dof than
> film. That's simply because the lenses are very short, and can give that
> illusion.
>
> Bill Pearce

The lens on my C-750 is only 6.3 mm at the widest angle and 63 mm full
telephoto.
The sensor is so small the image looks like it has a huge DOF.
If we could blow it up and retain enough resolution we would see that
the DOF isn't all that large.

This subject can make your head spin.
The wrong assumption is that everyone is thinking in the same way.

It will depend if you view a cropped image from the 35 mm shot that will
equal the 4/3 sensor shot.
It will also depend if you change positions so to frame both images the
same.

Here is more to add to the confusion.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/any-lens.html
Half way down under Depth of field.

“When any lens of a focal length F is mounted on a Four Thirds body and
stepped down to aperture (F-number) A, its effective depth of field will
be the same as that of a lens with focal length 2F stepped down to
aperture 2A, and working on a film camera.”

“If you mount a 50 mm, F/1.4 lens on the E-1 and use it wide open, the
DOF will be the same as when you mount a 100 mm, F/2.8 lens on a film
camera…The light-gathering capability is still defined by the actual
aperture of F/1.4.”

Dick