[OM] DOF - Digital versus analogue

Subject: [OM] DOF - Digital versus analogue
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:55:36 -0800
As I understand it, depth of field is essentially for any given focal
length, regardless of the format size. (DOF is the same for a 50m
lens wether it is on an E1, an OM, or a medium format camera.)
Because the E1 crops a section out of the middle of the lens
(essentialy) it will have a SIMILAR PERSPECTIVE to a 100mm telephoto
but the same DOF as the 50mm lens. To more clearly understand this,
if you take the same photo, from the same place with a 50mm Zuiko on
an OM and crop the resulting photo, it will be exactly the same as
the photo taken with the E1 and the 50mm lens. (Allowing for the
difference between film and digital.)

I think the confusion becomes because of the tendency for folks to
say that the E1 with it's 2x CROP factor will turn your 50mm lens
into a 100mm lens. It does not, it is still a 50mm lens, and behaves
as such, you are just cropping the picture down to the center
portion. The result is that you get a picture that looks as if it was
framed with a 100mm, but it still has the DOF of the 50mm.

Jim Couch