[OM] Re: DOF - Digital versus analogue

Subject: [OM] Re: DOF - Digital versus analogue
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 14:50:48 -0000
Amen.

--
Piers

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Chuck Norcutt
Sent: 03 December 2006 11:22
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

Well, not quite.  The inputs to a depth of field calculation are distance,
aperture and focal length... plus a key ingredient you're missing here which
is resolution or that confusing term called "circle of confusion".  It's the
number that accounts for print size and viewing distance.

--snip

Chuck Norcutt

Jim Couch wrote:

> As I understand it, depth of field is essentially for any given focal
> length, regardless of the format size. (DOF is the same for a 50m lens
> wether it is on an E1, an OM, or a medium format camera.) Because the
> E1 crops a section out of the middle of the lens
> (essentialy) it will have a SIMILAR PERSPECTIVE to a 100mm telephoto
> but the same DOF as the 50mm lens. To more clearly understand this, if
> you take the same photo, from the same place with a 50mm Zuiko on an
> OM and crop the resulting photo, it will be exactly the same as the
> photo taken with the E1 and the 50mm lens. (Allowing for the
> difference between film and digital.)

--snip