[OM] Re: DOF - Digital versus analogue

Subject: [OM] Re: DOF - Digital versus analogue
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 06:22:15 -0500
Well, not quite.  The inputs to a depth of field calculation are
distance, aperture and focal length... plus a key ingredient you're
missing here which is resolution or that confusing term called "circle
of confusion".  It's the number that accounts for print size and viewing
distance.

You are correct when you say that what gets captured on film or sensor
is the same for any given focal length regardless of format.  But what
you're neglecting is what happens after the capture.  In the end we have
to magnify the image on prints or on screens in order to view it.  The
smaller the image format the greater the required magnification to make
a give print size.

The greater magnfication requires a higher resolution image to begin
with if it's going to look sharp on the final print.  But, because of
the increased magnification or the "crop factor" between image formats
we don't use the same focal length lenses to frame the same shot and the
shorter focal length results in increased depth of field.

For example:  A 35mm shot made with a 50mm lens at f/8 focused at 5 feet
and assuming 30 lines/mm resolution on the film yields a DOF of 4.3-5.9
feet.  A 4/3 shot made with a 25mm lens at f/8 and focused at 5 feet but
now needing a resolution of 60 lines/mm for the same final print size
yields a DOF of 3.8-7.4 feet.  Both of these resolution values should be
sufficient to make good 8x10's from either image but the 4/3 shot will
have more DOF because of the shorter focal length lens used for the
capture.  And the same sort of analysis will hold true between 35mm and
medium format or medium format and large format.

Chuck Norcutt