[OM] Re: Back up and storage

Subject: [OM] Re: Back up and storage
From: Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 09:52:57 -0500
On 12/3/06 8:58 AM, "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You Mac-heads out there got any recommendations for
> external hard drives to daisy-chain?

I use LaCie drives these days. I've had a portable 40GB PocketDrive for many
years, an external CD/DVD drive for several years too, and more recently
bought a couple of their 250GB d2 hard drives. Never any problems.

One 250GB drive is always powered on and I use CarbonCopyCloner in
"scheduled" mode to do an incremental backup of each partition in the middle
of the night; the drive automatically spins down a while after use. The
other one is powered on only when I do a periodic (should be weekly, but
sometimes I get lazy) full backup.

If you're going to daisy-chain drives, make sure that what you buy has *two*
FireWire ports of the speed you want. Some drives will have two FW 400
ports, but only one FW 800. Presumably a FW hub would solve that problem,
but I have no experience with using a hub.

Michael