[OM] Re: Back up and storage

Subject: [OM] Re: Back up and storage
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 08:58:31 -0500
Well, you guys just gave me a nice scare. Well, you guys and my CD-DVD
drive. So I'm reading all this stuff about backup, and the dangers inherent
in cheap CDs and DVDs (Mine are Staples brand), and I'm thinking I might be
in deep do-do. At the moment everything is also on my HD, but if that goes
then it's the CDs and DVDs that will save me.

So I pulled out my oldest CD, which is about 3 years old, to see if the
image was still accessible. Loaded it in the drive, which whirred
incessantly, and then stopped. No picture. Windows Explorer didn't even
acknowledge that there was a file on the CD. Hell, it didn't acknowledge
there was a freaking CD. Mild panic. I took the CD downstairs to Esteemed
Wife's computer. Loaded up the CD. Phew! It took forever, but Mickeysoft
Imaging finally showed me the image on the CD.

Which brings me to my question. Say I'm about 90 percent sure I'm going to
switch to Apple. You Mac-heads out there got any recommendations for
external hard drives to daisy-chain? I'm not looking for the gold standard.
Don't have the cash to buy a computer _and_ a one of those 2TB Raid arrays.
But a couple of, say 250GB external drives ought to do me for a while.

Recommendations appreciated.

--Bob