[OM] Re: What would you do? Now: Horse racing and dog. Well sort of . .

Subject: [OM] Re: What would you do? Now: Horse racing and dog. Well sort of . . .
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:52:56 -0500
But it's hard to develop a flat memory model for a machine with an
(ugh!) segmented architecture.  And the segmented architecture (8088)
was chosen over the competition (68000) because the engineers were in
control.  They chose to stick with known reliable Intel 8 bit support
chips rather than unknown reliability 16 bit Motorola or Intel support
chips.  Which is also why the PC used an 8088 rather than an 8086.

No system software guy would ever make the same decision.

Chuck Norcutt