[OM] Re: Ornery mood

Subject: [OM] Re: Ornery mood
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:18:03 -0500
When I went to review all the hoopla over Canyon 5D dust it turned out
that most of the commentary had to do with dust in the viewfinder vs
dust on the sensor.  I think some folks have more money than knowledge
and don't know the difference.

It has been my experience that the viewfinder picks up dust faster than
the OM's or at least makes it more visible for some reason.  However,
it's easily cleaned by removing the screen and giving it and the bottom
of the pentaprism and the inside of the mirror box a little swipe with a
little piece of Swiffer Duster.  Just be sure to examine the Duster for
short threads created by the cutting and get rid of them.  You probably
don't want them stuck in the shutter blades.  I've used the same method
on my OM's.

I recently cleaned the 5D's sensor for the first time (wet cleaning with
methanol, PecPads and a small cut-down spatula) and managed to
substitute one largish looking thread for the 30 or 40 small specks that
were previously there.  The small specs only showed up on blue sky at
small apertures but the thread is visible on light backgrounds at f/8.
Based on the number of pixels it crosses it must be 1.2mm long.  Maybe
it's one of those Swiffer Duster threads :-)  I just got some cosmetic
mask brushes the other day from an ebay source and will try them soon
according to this guide:
<http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.pdf>
although a single spec might be better removed with this tool.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=387284&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
or it's fancier brother:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=387283&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

Chuck Norcutt