[OM] Re: Homepage picture updated

Subject: [OM] Re: Homepage picture updated
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:19:32 EST
In a message dated 11/18/2006 7:14:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Did  you say it's G-R-E-E-E-E-N?

I had to go back and look at the slide  again.  Yup, the web
image is pretty faithful to the  original.

Ken, I like both your answer and the image you created and . . .

It always amuses me when sitting in a print critique at our photography
club, and the person doing the critique asks a question of the photographer
that
is something like, "Is that the way it really looked when you made this
image?"  The answer given close to 100% of the time is, "Yes."  The  correct
answer
100% of the time is, "No."  Irrespective of whether you have  done the
printing or not, there are too many variables over which either you or  someone
else
had control or no control over that go into what the final print  looks like
to give a "Yes" answer.

IMHO, that is both the good news and the bad news (if you happen to be
looking for bad news) about photography.  From the point of my  wrapping my big
paws around a camera and lifting it to my eye until when  the print is framed
and
on the wall, it has been my creation . . . an  interpretation of something
that was "real" only at the moment of capture of the  information.

I will be going to an arts and craft festival on Sunday and when someone
buys an image from me it will be (again IMHO) not because of the truthfulness
of
the way I recorded something, but rather because of the way I interpreted and
 manipulated what was there.  They will be purchasing what  was created
rather than what was recorded.  Now, that is certainly the good  news.  It is
the
results of your  "vision" or "eye" that people want  to display, rather than
your ability to faithfully record something you have  seen. If you don't agree,
take three photographers out to the same location  at the same time and ask
each of them to record the scene.   They  will each "record" it differently and
each record will reflect it  differently. Each will interpret and manipulate
it in a different  manner.

Next time someone asks me the "question", I'll probably use some variation
of your answer or I may say, "Heck no, I just like out of focus purple stuff
and  that is why it looks the way it does."  Given the work I do, either answer

might be close to the truth.  I will remain amused by the questions and the
answers given.  <{8^)  Bill Barber