[OM] Re: Ornery mood

Subject: [OM] Re: Ornery mood
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:56:07 -0500
Our experiences are quite different.  I am personally and closely
acquainted enough with 3 other photographers to know that, collectively,
we all have owned over the past three years one micro drive and probably
about 15-20 CF cards.  The micro drive died about 1-1/2 years ago when
nearly full and had to have numerous images recovered by a professional
data recovery service at the cost of many dollars.  No CF cards have
ever failed... at least those used in cameras.  In 2002 I put about 45
navigational displays on three Nimitz class carriers with the display
design using CF cards as a boot device for the operating system
software.  As I recall there were two failures within about a year but,
after investigation, we chalked the failures up to curious young techie
sailors who had to open the boxes to see how things worked.

I have also had two hard drive failures since my first computer with a
hard drive in 1985.  Both of the drive failures were when the drives
were approximately 3-4 years old.  I assume I haven't had more drive
failures because I normally upgrade them at about the 3 year point.  I
have never had a memory failure in any of my computers which goes back
to my original IBM PC in 1982.  I've had one motherboard failure which
was limited to the loss of one IDE channel.

Chuck Norcutt