[OM] Re: Matrix metering WAS: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Matrix metering WAS: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:46:01 -0800
Jim Couch wrote:
> For those who want a better idea of how matrix metering works here is
> a link to a copy of the 1984 (yes it has been around that long!)
> sales brochure for N*kon's matrix metering (at the time called AMP.)
> Obligatory note to keep this on topic - the OM-40 employed something
> similar (but more rudimentary) called ESP.)

Works rather well. Nothing near as fancy as the new stuff, but it can
easily handle common odd lighting situations. It isn't fooled by backlit
silhouettes or very light or dark section(s) in the outer parts of the
frame. That's part of what makes it such a good walking about camera,
one can relax a bit.
> And yes, so far my experience has been that in general the Matrix
> metering works very well. The reason pros override it is to gain
> control in situations where it MIGHT not work, or where you might
> want a different exposure than it would result. Because it is hard to
> get a real handle on what the Matrix metering is doing, it can be
> hard to predict what it will do in tricky lighting situations.

The OMPC/OM-40 has a little green light in the viewfinder that lights up
when the ESP metering is altering the exposure from what the normal
metering would do. And the switch to turn it off is handy. One may
easily see what will be done with and without and choose or go manual in
unusual situations. A rather well done option I wish were also on the OM-4.

Moose