[OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:10:19 -0800 (PST)
Chuck wrote:
> I'm afraid your answer there leaves much to be desired and
> appears to depend on the smoke and mirrors you mentioned.

I'm sorry. I'll refund your money.  ;)

> Not OK.  How does it know that?  I have a simple Tokina lens
> which does not have any sort of focus distance encoders nor
> provide any focus distance feed back to the body.

I believe that it is passing information back to the camera.  As
the lens is focused an encoder is passing revolution or "click"
count back to the camera. This is how the camera knows that it
has either reached the end of the focus range. Some lenses have
additional ability to pass positional data that is linked in
with an encoder in the zoom mechanism and the lens is able to
pass distance info back to the camera.

> Maybe you have a camera that racks the lens in and out upon
> mounting or power on but I don't.

Hmm. Maybe this is a contributing factor as to why Canon cameras
are known to suffer from back-focus issues more than some of the
other brands.

> My Canyon and Tokina just sit there like dumb
> rocks until I push a button to tell them to do something.

I can't speak to the Tokina, but I believe the Canon lenses pass
generalized positional info to the camera, The new L-Mark-II
lenses are distance encoded.

> Sorry to give you such a hard time but I think you really
> mumbo-jumbo'd this one.

Like I don't mumbo-jumbo most things?

AG

http://new.mail.yahoo.com