[OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:02:40 -0500
Experienced Nikon and Minolta photogs DON'T switch out of matrix
metering which is extremely accurate on those monikers.  Even the
itty-bitty point and shoots.

I'm going to design a rock bottom matrix metering solution for you on
the fly.  I'm going to divide the sensor area into a 3x3 grid and assign
the light intensity in each grid section to a binary number from 0 to 3
and store the result in two bits.  I'll use the JPEG luminosity values
to represent light intensity.  binary values from 0-63 will be assigned
0, 64-127 will be assigned 1, 128-191 will be 2 and 192-255 will be 3.
I now have a grand total of 9 x 2 bits = 18 bits.  In total they can
represent 256K unique values.

Now I go out and take zillions of well exposed photographs taken by
professional photgraphers.  I bring them back to the lab and analyze
them all with a photometer.  I divide them into the same grid of 9 cells
and assign each grid an exposure value of 0-3 just like the camera is
going to do.  Eventually, I discover that the composite value 165,293
represented by those 18 bits was properly exposed by the pro using EV
10.  I build a 256K array of EV numbers and use the index values
computed from the array as an index to the EV table.

Does this work?  I haven't a clue.  But that's my simplistic view of a
matrix metering system.  The Japanes version, of course, can't be
complete unless it incorporates lots of AI and fuzzy logic as well.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt