[OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations

Subject: [OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:11:23 -0800
Allan Mee wrote:
> The beauty of film SLRs is that you 'know' when you have taken a picture -
> usually both visually and audibly.
Uh... Unless you turn off the LCD, all contemporary digital cameras show
you not only that you took a shot, but how it came out, right there on
the camera.
> The mirror closing and opening loets you
> know visually that you've taken a shot - and the sound confirms it. The OM40
> is particularly good here I think - I love the sound of the OM40 - the OM2's
> mirror is just a tad too heavily damped for my liking. The Om40 has a most
> reasuring 'clunk' sound. That's one of the reasons I keep my power winder on
> the OM2 most of the time - another reason being the improved grip of course.

You have...uh, unusual tastes. Perhaps you really want a medium format
SLR. The camera 'kicks' when that big mirror lands, so you really know.
Me, I like a quick, quiet mirror, especially on the upswing, where
vibration can effect sharpness.

Don't get me wrong, I love my OMs, including the OM-40, but not cause
they wake the neighbors and kick like a mule; which, thank goodness,
they don't.

Moose