[OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files

Subject: [OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:02:34 -0800
Allan Mee wrote:
> Speaking of noise - do emissions from computers/mobile phones etc. affect
> digital cameras at all (whether shooting or not)?
I can/t imagine any effect when not shooting. The only report I've ever
run across is internal to a camera, the 5D
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/page25.asp>.
> Also, I know some camera
> reviews I've read talk about extreme temperatures  (in terms of human
> comfort, e.g. say, artic temps and desert temps) can adverely affect some
> models - e.g. a review might say something like 'I doubt if it would work in
> freezing/icy conditions).
Any tester who says something like that, rather than testing it, is
useless. What good is speculation? I can do that from the comfort of my
own home.

There was a recent thread on the subject of cols weather performance,
including specific E-1 experience, I believe. Take a look in the archives.

Generally, batteries are the problem for cold weather shooting. People
have various strategies for this. Some I remember are keeping the camera
inside clothing between shots, swapping multiple batteries between
inside pockets and the camera as needed, making or buying dummy
batteries that are wire connected to batterise kept in warm places and
rubber banding hunters' heat packs to the camera body. I'm sure there
are others, but you get the idea.

In hot weather, the biggest likely effect is increased sensor noise. The
electronics get noisier as they get warmer. Many astronomical sensors
are externally cooled for this reason. The good news is taht mostly when
it's hot, it's bright, and only low isos are needed. Nonetheless, there
could be circumstanced where coolant packs would be useful.

In my particular case, I stop going out and taking pictures before the
camera shows any signs of weather effects. :-)

Moose

PS: paragraph breaks where you change subjects would make your posts
easier to read.