[OM] Re: photoshop upgrade question

Subject: [OM] Re: photoshop upgrade question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:18:38 -0700 (PDT)
> Lightroom is much easier to use than Photoshop for many
> photograph processes.  But then I don't bother with layers...

The RAW converter in Lightroom is rotgut right now, but once
they've been able to fully implement RawShooter's converter,
things will improve.  Speed is aweful.  I'm about to cut my
wrists waiting for the stupid thing.

That out of the way, I think that Lightroom is going to really
change the face of photography workflow--for the professional. I
think it's way out of sorts for the non-pros as it is very much
a workflow management system.  As to Photoshop, well, here's
what I'm doing:

Currently my converter of choice is Rawshooter (Essentials). I
can do just about everything but layer and spot work in it. The
converted files are then edited in either Photoshop Elements or
The Gimp.  Elements is great for quick-and-dirty stuff and using
the healing brush. Otherwise, for anything serious, I'm into The
Gimp.  There, I've got all my layers, curves, yada yada that I
actually use.

Funny thing about all this?  RSE was free. The Gimp is free and
Photoshop Elements came free with my Wacom Tablet.

The new version of Picture Window Pro is outstanding, but
limited when it comes to layer editing.  It, however, is "da
best" when it comes to outputting to specific print sizes.  The
RAW converter in PWP is slightly wonky in that it will give
strange patterns and interlacing artifacts when the red-green
channels saturate.

Oh, why my particular selection of software also works well, is
because I use the ordering system from Miller's that gives me
all my crop and size options right in the ordering software so I
do not have to do any of that in my editors.  Lightroom is
finally giving us that same capability for local printing.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com