[OM] Re: Which digital system -- lenses/sensor/brand

Subject: [OM] Re: Which digital system -- lenses/sensor/brand
From: Jim Couch <Zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:37:31 -0700
Alan,

I am in much the same boat, although I am looking to buy now. I think
Chuck has some very good points, to which I would add:

While much has changed with the advent of digital I still think some
things hold true from film. One of these for me is that the lens is key
in making picture. Some would argue that with the advent of digital and
the influence of the sensor/body on the final outcome that camera bodies
are more important than ever. I would dispute that in some ways. In
particular it used to be that you bought a camera body and used it next
to forever. It was a long term investment. Now this is not so much the
case. with the bar being raised on a nearly annual basis you are much
more likely to replace your camera body than in the past. The lenses
however you will keep. I am approaching this decision from the
standpoint of who has lenses available that will work for me, and then
start looking at camera bodies. For me at this point it is a long term
decision. I am not sure I will really take to digital, so I plan to buy
a decent used body and and one or two lenses (that I would keep long
term) to 'try it out' If digital works for me, then I will upgrade the
body in a year or two. So for me it is more a matter of picking a system
that I think I can grow with, and will grow with me.

As for the Canon the Tokina 12-24 ATX has gotten some good reviews and
is available in Canon mount and would be a good solution for WA on many
of the Canon bodies.

As for the noise issue with high ISO on Olympus bodies - I would say at
this point that is the million dollar question for many people at this
point.

Jim Couch