[OM] Re: Which digital system -- lenses/sensor/brand

Subject: [OM] Re: Which digital system -- lenses/sensor/brand
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:06:26 -0400
Alan wrote:

> I've been debating for quite a while about which digital camera to go with -
> right now my choices seems to be
> pentax (interesting lenses and i generally like the brand but
>          weakest of the group - and they use sony sensor)

I'd evaluate the actual output from the camera and not worry about who
made the sensor.  The sensor is just the starting point.  The firmware
that drives it also has a significant effect on noise, color and
resolution.  If you like Pentax take a closer look.  Compatibility with
the older PK and PK-A mount lenses gives you lots to choose from...
until you hit the wide angle requirements.

> Olympus (good set of new lenses - but high noise sensor)

If you're not going to buy for a year then wait until PhotoKina next
March in Las Vegas.  That's where Olympus is saying that they're
suddenly going to turn the DSLR world on its head with new models of
E-series digitals having anti-shake technology and who knows what else.
  I hope for their sake that they're right.  But I'll believe it when I
see it.

> Canon (best? sensor but crappy wide angle )

The crappy wide angle part is overblown and probably only relates to
very large prints from 21mm and shorter lenses used on full frame
sensors.  On my 5D I use my Tokina 28-80 autofocus most of the time and
I think it's just fine.  My Zuiko 24/2.8 can handle most of the wider
stuff and even my OM mount Tokina 17/3.5 seems to perform pretty well. A
Tokina 80-200/2.8 just arrived in the mail today.  Tried it first to
nail up a couple of 2x4's and then tried it on the camera.  What a beast
that is.  :-)

If you buy a Canon APS size sensor and you want to get shorter than the
28mm equivalent you'll be forced to use something newer and better
suited to digital sensors.  The newer lenses made for AF-s mounts
perform quite well.  Yesterday Moose posted the Pop Photo review of
three of them that sell in the $500 range.  The Tokina is the sharpest
but the two others have their own merits.  And with a short focal length
and high ISO performance there's no need at all for image stabiliation.

> Sony (zeiss lenses (which I like) - but I hate sony as a brand)

Not for me either.  I'd like my TV and camera makers to be different.

> Nikon (dislike the brand and lenses (not resolution but image feel - no
>        nikon for me)

I discounted Nikon because there's no possibility of OM lens
compatibility.  But the Nikons have some cool features.  I'd love to
have the electronic grid they can throw up in the viewfinder at the
touch of a switch.  Replacing screens in the 5D is just like the OM's.