[OM] Re: Which digital system -- lenses/sensor/brand

Subject: [OM] Re: Which digital system -- lenses/sensor/brand
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:38:12 -0400
You probably both know this but, just to be clear, the Tokina 12-24/4 at
$500 is for APS-C size sensor digital cameras giving 99 degree coverage
at 12mm (probably a bit less in Canon mount.  They tend to use Nikon's
1.5X crop factor instead of Canon's 1.6X).  Unlike Canon's EF-s mount
lenses, I believe it will physiscally fit on a full frame mount but it
won't have a full frame image circle.  I note that B&H says the Nikon
version of this lens is backordered with no estimated delivery date
although the Canon version is still in stock.  That's the same way the
other Tokina AT-X Pro lenses have disappeared... quietly.  Out of stock,
no estimated delivery and finally the listing disappears.

Sigma's 12-24/4.5-5.6 at $689 is a full frame optic giving 122 degree
coverage at 12mm.  But I know very little about how this lens performs
and would be a bit concerned.  12mm at full frame is W-I-D-E.

And we all know that coverage angles are uselessly specified on the
diagonal.

Chuck Norcutt