[OM] Re: Adapter question

Subject: [OM] Re: Adapter question
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:18:26 -0700
I've been having some odd problems "with adapters" - you probably
remember a short post I made awhile ago.

So far I would recommend the $25 adapters ...

The only one that I've had that is definitely bad is the one I bought
from Martin Cheung (about $100). It has the label EOS cast into it.
The lens would rock back and forth. All of the adapters allow a slight
rotation but this is the only one I've seen which does not keep the
lens axis perpendicular to the sensor.

hkbbstore sells a nice adapter for about $85. When I first tried out
this adapter with about 3 different lenses, I couldn't get them to
lock into place. I looked at the adapter and thought the stop down tab
was rotated about 1/8" from  where it should be. Before sending it
back, I tried a half dozen lenses again, and all of them worked. I
don't know what happened the first time. This adapter also has a
different flange. I believe the 90/2 zuiko is the lens that is very
difficult to press the release tab. This flange MIGHT make that even
harder. I need to check it out. For the 21/2, 24 shift, 35 shift, a
couple Kiron zooms, an Angenieux zoom, and the 35-80/2.8 it was fine.

cowy07 sells what looks like the adapter I've used the most. The first
one I have I managed to damage the lock slot by twisting on my camera
in an effort to get the horizon level. These adapters can be
recognized by the screw used to stop down the lens. They can be bought
for about $25 but also sometimes have significantly higher BIN prices.

Mike loaned me his cameraquest adapter. It provided me with a sanity
check on the infinity focus. It appears that one of my zuikos has
something loose. I double checked it on an OM and found it is off
there also. I've seen some other lenses have infinity focus issues but
generally haven't been able to repeat the problem. The cameraquest
adapter is nicely made but not dramatically different from the two $25
samples I have other than being black. I didn't try twisting the
camera to see if the adapter would fail. The real issue is tolerances.
So far other than some sporadic infinity focus issues, the two $25
adapters I've tried seem to be fine. They also seem to be the same
thickness as the cameraquest adapter but I don't have a micrometer.
The focus distance indicated on the lens appears to be the same with
either adapter. The cameraquest adapter is used by a C*non user known
for promoting how good Zuikos are when used on a 1DSII. I've never
heard of any problems with this adapter.

My infinity focusing issues might be related to my focus screen. I
have a non-oem screen in my camera. There is a possibility it is
moving. The comment I made about the 90/2 is due to the barrel of the
lens being wider than the mounting flange. When the Zuiko is mounted
on the 5D there is not enough space between the camera body and the
barrel of the lens to push the release tab on the zuiko. You could use
the camera release button to release the adapter, then remove the
adapter from the lens. I normally never remove the adapter. The
mounting flange on an OM body allows significantly more finger room to
push the lens release tab.

When I get time, I plan on posting pictures of the adapters and
testing them with the OEM screen in place.

-jeff