[OM] Re: New Portra pro film line from Koduck

Subject: [OM] Re: New Portra pro film line from Koduck
From: "GeeBee" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:31:07 +0100
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxx>

It's like fishing with dynamite or quail hunting with a flame thrower. I
prefer a fly rod and the circa 1914 Parker Sweet 16 that belonged to my
grandfather for those, and I'm getting gladder by the minute that I've still
got every single bit of my OM gear.

> Walt

LOL!

For me your wit and wisdom have always been one of the highlights of this
list and I just pasted your post in answer to someone on the L*ica User
Group who has just asked:

"Lately I have fallen in love again with my old Nikon FM and a 50mm f/1.8
lens.  Here begins my problem.  I LOVE film however, I just can't afford
shooting it as much as I would like.  Soon perhaps, but that's of no
consequence.  So I take my Canon EOS 10d out most places with me and rarely
shoot ever.  I try to make myself, but I don't know why the finger doesn't
push the button.  If I take my Leica with, I'll shoot several rolls a day.
Same with the Nikon FM and my EOS RT.  The digital DOES have a few issues
that I don't like: warm up time, battery life, the crop factor and a small
viewfinder.  (I was spoiled by Nikon F3's and F4's a few years ago and have
kicked myself every day for selling them.)  So I'm wondering, is there any
logical reason that I would consciously or subconsciously want to shoot film
over digital?  I'm hoping that a move up to an EOS 5d might help this, but I
wouldn't want to invest $3k and find out that I still have this digital
"funk" and continue to shoot film.  I'm not saying that one is better than
the other.  I'm "soul searching" for a reason of why I want to take a
photograph with a film camera and not a digital.  Because I believe that in
the end it's all about the image itself & not the tools used to make it.

Your sage wisdom is appreciated.

Philip"

You could be starting a counter revolution :-)

--Graham