[OM] Re: New Portra pro film line from Koduck

Subject: [OM] Re: New Portra pro film line from Koduck
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:54:25 +0000
I'm now considering a better MF scanner than my Epson 3200, looking for
something comparable to my Minolta 5400, which takes care of the 35mm stuff
quite nicely. I'm listening for suggtestions. I've got a fridge full of 120
film, both tranny and negative color, plus a s**tload of B&W, that I've been
neglecting, to use in pretty complete outfits of Mamiya RB67, Graflex/Graphic
6x9 Centuries, Crowns, and XLRFs, with enough lenses to buckle the knees of a
pack mule. Suddenly, somehow, digital seems to be losing its luster. And I just
found six more rolls of Kodachrome. Seems like an omen.

Digital takes the magic out of the process. Any idiot can get a decent photo
with a digital camera -- just keep shooting and chimping, then fix it later.
Film takes some expertise and smarts. I have really slowed down shooting since
going digital because I get nearly no satisfaction from a procedure that
requires so little skill and thought, no matter how good the result. It's like
fishing with dynamite or quail hunting with a flame thrower. I prefer a fly rod
and the circa 1914 Parker Sweet 16 that belonged to my grandfather for those,
and I'm getting gladder by the minute that I've still got every single bit of
my OM gear.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from