[OM] Re: Not much to be proud of. The mock-up revealed...

Subject: [OM] Re: Not much to be proud of. The mock-up revealed...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:54:25 -0700 (PDT)
> I would rather had seen specs instead of this horrible design.

I'm not so sure the design is all that horrid.  My grouse is
that Olympus seems unable to provide much user-interface
continuity from one model to another.  Each one has different
control positions, shape and design.  If you look at the OM-1,
OM-2, OM-3 and OM-4, they all have all of the basic controls in
exactly the same position.  The only loose cannon of the bunch
was the OM-4.

For example, on this mockup, the grip shape appears to be the
same as the E-1, but the front control knob has transformed into
a wheel, the rear wheel is level instead of tilted.  The DOF
preview button is gone/moved as well as the WB set button.

As long as they don't make one of those valuable buttons into a
"PRINT" button, we'll be ok, though.  I think the vertical grip
shape is slick.  The whole thing kinda reminds me of a Pentax
110 SLR--only bigger.  Other than cosmetic changes (angular vs
rounded), there is quite a bit of similarity with the E-1.  I'm
sure this one will need grip-rubber replacement too.

I'm not too concerned about this mockup. It's obviously a
prototype design and possibly a red-herring to throw the
competition off. There are too many critical "missing buttons"
(like the ones on the top surface).

Fact is, for me, I'm on a timeline now.  I will get a new camera
soon regardless of who is ready.  If it means getting a BXTPDB,
so be it. I'm resigned to that fact.  But, for me, it totally
has to do with pixel-count. Nothing more, nothing less. The
E-400 would have been a shoe-in -- had it been made available in
the USA. I guess, I'm going to have to go the
Ca-hack-hack-hack-n-cough-wheeze-on route.  If I wanted an E-500
or E-330 I would have bought one by now.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com