[OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues

Subject: [OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:22:02 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Many have achieved the function of the Expodisk with a Pringles
> potato snack lid for a modest price and some risk if you are on a
> diet.
My understanding is that only Pringle's lids from a certain time period
are correctly balanced, not new ones today. Another alternative is the
translucent caps on some video cameras that were used to set WB. I have
one from an older Sony that quit, but don't use it for the reasons below.
> The Expodisk and the Pringles lid have the advantage of being
> used to preset a custom white balance. The advantage is that your
> camera histogram will be correct since it operates off the camera
> settings made to the LCD jpg.
> The WhiBal gives the advantages of a white point and a black point
> and does not have to be mounted on the camera to be used nor a new
> balance set up for each change of time or location making it quicker
> and easier.

It is simply quicker and easier to use than something that needs to be
held/mounted on the lens and then processed into custom WB. The
ergonomics are superior. It is small and light and comes with a neck
lanyard with quick release, so you can have it out of the way in shirt
pocket, pull it out and have it in a shot is seconds. It comes in a
little nylon card case along with a separate piece of the same size that
is used as a stand to hold it upright when used at a distance, rather
than in the hand.

Moose