[OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues

Subject: [OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:05:55 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Moose

Daniel Sepke wrote:
> Adding a reference white card will definitely be my next step. I had
> kind of forgotten the WhiteBal since it came up a while back. It
> occurs to me that the technique was basically what I was doing with my
> last round of test images (the subject was wearing a white shirt).
> Sometime the solution is right in front of you and you can't see it!

But don't let it fool you. White shirts aren't. Worse than that, I believe
some detergents may make them fluoresce under flash illumination, so what
the camera sees may be different than what you see.. And when shooting lots
of folks, the shirts will surely differ in tone.

Products like the WhiBal, the other one you put over the lens, the name of
which escapes me, and others, are tested and calibrated to be true white.

Indeed, very good points. What I was meaning was that I seemed to
instinctively know the theory of what I needed to do just without the right
reference point. The other type of white balance aid you mention is I think
the ExpoDisc. Its about twice the price of the two card kit from WhiteBal
though. I am not sure if anyone has done a comparison between the two to see
if there is anything in it.

> Anyway thanks again for all your suggestions and advice.

Best of luck with the gig. I hope it leads to more work and success.

Hopefully this will be an annual thing for me and the school. I replaced
another independent who didn't quite have the organizational skills to keep
up with the details. Prior to him the school had been using one of the large
branded services and things didn't have much personality. I am able to give
them a more of a personal touch as I know a fair number of the students
already from mentoring and doing work in their theatre program (yep I am
another one of these soundengineer-photographer-everything-blends-together
people :)

Thanks again!

Dan S.