[OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues

Subject: [OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:28:31 -0700
Many have achieved the function of the Expodisk with a Pringles
potato snack lid for a modest price and some risk if you are on a
diet. The Expodisk and the Pringles lid have the advantage of being
used to preset a custom white balance. The advantage is that your
camera histogram will be correct since it operates off the camera
settings made to the LCD jpg.

The WhiBal gives the advantages of a white point and a black point
and does not have to be mounted on the camera to be used nor a new
balance set up for each change of time or location making it quicker
and easier. Since it is designed to provide information in post
processing only the camera will be on its own making white balance
settings which could result in some inaccuracy of the camera
histograms for checking exposure. I think that the possible error is
small if you use the fluorescent, tungsten, and automatic settings as
appropriate.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA