[OM] Re: Focus problem

Subject: [OM] Re: Focus problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:07:06 -0700
Russ Butler wrote:
> Wayne Harridge wrote:
>
>>> As to hyperfocal distance you're the only other person in my memory
>>> besides myself to even mention the subject on this list.
>> Just because we don't mention it, doesn't mean we don't use it !
> I understand the advantages of using the hyperfocal distance (when
> desired) but how do you guys/gals use/set it in the field?
> Chart, look-up table in brain, some kind of neat trick, built in to them
> there neat digital thingy's, or what?

I certainly pay attention to DOF, but don't think or talk about
hyperfocal distance because it's just a special case of DOF in general.

I'm pretty poor at carrying around tables and referring to them. I
mostly just focus on the farthest thing I want in focus, then the
nearest, then put the focus halfway in between. Then push the DOF
preview button to see if I have the DOF I want. If it's important, I'll
then bracket f-stops. If the farthest thing happens to be at infinity,
I'm using hyperfocal focusing, if not, so what.

Moose