[OM] Re: Focus problem

Subject: [OM] Re: Focus problem
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 07:46:38 -0700
Russ Butler wrote:
> Wayne Harridge wrote:
>>> As to hyperfocal distance you're the only other person in my memory
>>> besides myself to even mention the subject on this list.
>>>
>> Just because we don't mention it, doesn't mean we don't use it !
>>
>> ...Wayne

> I understand the advantages of using the hyperfocal distance (when
> desired) but how do you guys/gals use/set it in the field?

Yes, all the time.

> Chart, look-up table in brain, some kind of neat trick, built in to them
> there neat digital thingy's, or what?

No, I use the little lines on the lens, either side of the index mark
(otherwise known as the "depth of field scale") to bracket the f/stops!
For the usual scenes, I set the f/stop nearest the infinity mark TO infinity,
and make sure the f/stop opposite the index mark will encompass the distance
important to my needs.
I don't know about new lenses, but it works with all my OM lenses, and all
owner manuals show this technique!

Hope that isn't too confusing.

keith whaley