[OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:13:44 +0100

> In my opinion, the disk layout is the most important in achieving speed. The
> quality of the components is helping, though I guess it is not the main
> factor. To be complete, I'll be some more specific on the components in my
> PC case
>   Disk 1 and 2 are WD Raptor 74 GB 10.000 rpm.
>   Disk 3 is a RAID 0 array of two 320 GB WD 7.200 rpm drives in an external

I agree about disk layout mattering. Its easy to thrash a single drive
by having the heads constantly seeking from the inside cylinders to the
outside and back.
I have raptors too and they are nice drives but need to be cooled.
I also agree fat32 is a joke.
however I found with XP I could not create an XP swap partition bigger
than 4gb so I ended up having 4gb of swap on each of my two drives and
the photoshop swap on the other drive to where the applications are
installed.
Even with 3gb of ram if I simultaneously scan medium format a 4000dpi
64but rgb and infra red with vuescan and edit another shoot in photoshop
  cs2 the machine is pushed quite hard.

James