[OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 05:48:07 -0500
Mike wrote:

Since others have covered the partitioning aspect ...

> 3) I have WinXP home edition now but am thinking to upgrade. Should I?
> Recommendations?

Why are you thinking of upgrading? Are you looking for specific
capabilities? XP is going to be around for a while yet as Microsoft
continues to delay Longshot^h^h^h^hview  -- er, Vista. So it's not
like there will be a brand new OS in a couple of months -- certainly
not anything you'd care to use if you value your data.

One thing to consider is whether there _is_ an incremental upgrade
(it doesn't look like there is one for your situation). If not, then
you're stuck either buying a full-retail copy of XP Pro (doubtful
return for your $$) or enduring the ethics of purchasing the OEM
version (no thread tangents, please; we just got done discussing
this one! :-)

> 4) Finally, anyone have any experience with this monitor?
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226>

I bought my first Samsung LCD monitor six years ago when my CRT "did
the big firework". I couldn't see buying another CRT even then, but
LCDs weren't as cheap as they are now. I bought the Samsung because
it got good reviews and it was fairly inexpensive. I'm happy with
the choice: no "watching fatigue" ever and it still is running nice
and bright, albeit on a system that's not seeing much use these
days. If I needed another monitor -- and, someday, when my TV
breathes its last -- Samsung will be on the "short list".

So will Viewsonic, though. While that _is_ the brand of CRT that
died on me, it was well past warranty and it provided a very good
picture for the money (though I didn't do any photographic work on
it). My brother has a larger Viewsonic that has been in daily use
since 1998 and still looks just fine. For photographic work, I would
stick with the Viewsonic line, but if you need a monitor for a
second computer, I would not hesitate to go after Viewsonic's
somewhat-cheaper OptiQuest line, either.

Check out Viewsonic's on-line outlet store at their Web site, too.
Apparently the stock turns over fairly frequently, but there could
be some good prices there.

Steve