[OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:25:32 -0400
Dear Chuck,

Your bad.

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2006/02/the_origin_of_m.html

tOM

On Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 7:49,
Chuck Norcutt <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, my mistake.  I'll try to keep in mind the international flavor of
> the audience here and use less American slang... assuming I can
> recognize my American slang.  :-)
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> James Royall wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 06:46:56 -0400, "Chuck Norcutt"
> > <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> >
> >>Sorry, my bad.
> >
> > OK. Seeing as this list seems to have a higher proportion of people
> > interested (obsessed) by grammar and language than the average
> > population it seems the perfect place to ask about this expression. I
> > first heard it from an American I worked with, and I thought she had
> > forgotten to finish her sentence. I still think 'your bad what?'
> > whenever I see it written or hear it. I've been around a few Americans
> > since the age of 15 and didn't ever hear it until about 18 months ago.
> > Has it always been around but just not used by the people I know,
> > including my wife, her family, extended family and friends? If so, who
> > uses it? If it's recent where did it come from? Our American Heritage
> > dictionary lists bad as an adjective, and has the archaic use as the
> > past tense of bid, but nothing else.
> >
> > I'm curious,
> > James

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.41235 W75.71345     +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle