[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 22:19:04 -0700
Rob Harrison wrote:
> Phenomenal. I think you just sold another 5D.....

Oops.
> Just have to get over the idea that it's "camera as commodity." That is, I'd
> be buying something I'd likely use up in five or six years, rather than a
> lifetime choice like the OM has been.

Coming to terms with the very different situation with digicams in
general can be difficult. I bought my first DSLR when features,
performance and price first met my personal criteria for a camera that
would let me try out digital and use my OM mount lenses. Based on the
number of images I have taken with it that please me and the enjoyment I
have had using it over the past two years, I feel that it was a good deal.

The 5D was a different kind of choice. Knowing that DSLR was the way I
was going to do most of my non-casual photography, I was looking for
something that would be good enough that I wouldn't feel like I was
compromising on image making quality and thus will, I hope, meet my
needs and desires until it fails, rather than until it is superseded by
newer models.

Also, I already have some of the Zuiko WAs that have proven to perform
so well with the FF sensor bodies.

I would like to think that the 5D will last and meet my expectations for
longer than your 5-6 year time frame. If it keeps going, I think it may
well do so. Operation is essentially instant, picture quality is better
than anything I ever got with film and it is very flexible. Of course,
when it stops working, repairability isn't going to be like it was with
the old MF cameras.

It's not a perfect camera, see AG's recent rants. It does have a few
really nice touches that I appreciate for making my life easier, like
instant change to EV and to combinations of shutter speed and aperture
in P mode without having to take one's eye from the viewfinder. Still
doesn't show iso in the viewfinder until you press the button. I like
the way the two wheels are set up.

On the other hand, it's not cheap, I will have paid $2,700 after the
$300 rebate shows up some day. And it has no built-in flash, so there is
no focus assist lighting (although low light focus is excellent) nor
operation of optical slaves without also paying for a flash. So I know I
will watch as the same capabilities I paid for become available at
decreasing cost. It seems worth it to me to start having better image
quality now, rather than later.

Another big factor for me was that there are quite a few shots, like the
Jellyfish shots, that simply can't be made with anything else except a
more expensive FF Can*n. In all my years of picture taking, there have
always been shots I couldn't make because of equipment limitations. The
5D now makes many of them possible.

Moose